Individuals suffering from the effects of the natural aging process or a health-related disability still place a high value on their ability to live independently, despite the challenges that may bring.
Maintaining independence - despite obstacles – allows a person experiencing complications to experience a high degree of control over their lives, high levels of self-esteem, and personal fulfillment.
Maintaining the ability to live independently ensures happiness and improves a person’s quality of life.
If your loved one is experiencing movement problems, limitations in range of motion, and other issues that are related to their age or disability, barrier-free remodeling
will help them to maintain their independence and allow them to continue to live in the comfort of their own home.
What is Barrier-Free Remodeling?
Remodeling in a barrier-free fashion refers to the process of creating a home environment that allows those that are older or suffering from disabilities to move around the structure in a free and safe manner.
The purpose and intent of this type of remodeling is to create a living environment that empowers a person to accomplish all of the activities associated with the process of daily living without assistance. Additionally, it allows those that depend on mobility devices – such as a wheelchair or a power chair – to move throughout and in and out of the home with ease.
Examples of a Barrier-Free Remodeling Project
There are many examples of projects that are barrier-free. The following outlines the most common:
- Creating wider doorways in, out, and throughout the home that allow for mobility devices.
- Placing components regularly accessed – such as cabinets – in locations that may be more easily reached.
- Placing assistive fixtures throughout the home to make it easier to use certain components of the home. Examples include installing open, walk-in showers, raising toilets, and ramps for wheelchairs.
- Remodeling a bathroom with grab bars, open sink access, and similar features to make it easier to take care of hygiene needs.
- Increasing the sizes of certain rooms that are used frequently, such as bathrooms, bedrooms, the kitchen, and main living areas.
- Installing drawer-based appliances that allow those with mobility devices to access and use the microwave, a dishwasher system, and even an oven.
- Main Benefits of Barrier-Free Remodeling Services
The Main Benefits of Barrier-Free Remodeling
The main benefit associated with barrier-free remodeling services is that it allows those suffering from the effects of aging or a disability to remain in their homes and living independently for as long as possible.
In many cases, this type of remodeling allows people to live the duration of their lives at home, without having to transition to an assisted living facility or a skilled nursing home.
Additional benefits include safety, improving the physical health, reducing the effort it takes to do activities of daily living, and the integration of features – such as shower seats, non-slip flooring, shelves, and materials - that are designed to increase one’s comfort in moving around the home.
If you are ready to help your loved one create a home that they can live in and be confident in, contact us today at: https://backhomesafely.com/contact-us/